There are lots of good questions today. I’ll try to get caught up on the daily word prompts tomorrow, and my recipe list for last month.
1) What is your favourite food? Spaghetti. Pasta in any form, really.
2) What is your favourite food preparation method? I don’t have a single favourite. I’m a serious omnivore, so I need to use many different preparation methods.
3) What is your favourite cuisine or style of cooking? Does mid-Century menu count as a cuisine or cooking style? I also enjoy recreating dishes from medieval recipe books and cuisines from Lebanon and Turkey through to Malaysia (especially Central Asian, Persian and North Indian). But there is also room in my heart for the German foods I grew up with and the Brazilian and Central American cuisines I learned to love while living there.
4) Do you have any dietary restrictions and if so what are they? Cast iron stomach and immune system. I eat street food while traveling and don’t get sick.
5) If you could introduce the whole world to one ingredient to improve their culinary experience, what would that be and why? My current love is cumin. I use a lot of it in everything from my breakfast eggs to curries, burgers, and sauces.
These questions are swiped from spacefem
What have you done lately for improving or maintaining your mental health? What more would you like to do? I have stopped working so hard. I do what is essential, but I no longer work long hours trying to do all the things and I definitely don’t bother feeling bad about not getting all the things done. Instead, I am trying to spend more time on things for me - various classes (both for my brain and for fitness), riding my bike for fun instead of to commute, going for walks.
When did you last eat something specifically because it was good for you? Today? I have been making a conscious effort to get more fibre into my diet, so today I had a serving of casserole made with beans and veggies, and some corned beef and cabbage (so much cabbage and carrots with just a little beef), plus a whole wheat bun at breakfast.
These days, what are you learning about, and what would you like to learn about next? For the last couple of days, I have been learning to write in a German script used for handwritten correspondence from the 15th C. It’s a fairly useless skill in many ways, but combined with my German lessons, I now want to take another crack at reading the facsimile editions of some 15th and 16th C German cookbooks I own. I may need to work on the printed alphabet for that, but I’m pretty sure the books I own were hand written.
What’s positive about your physical appearance lately? I weigh less than I have in many years (probably 15 years, at best guess). As a result, my jeans fit better, and I am starting to be less uncomfortable with how I look in leggings or workout gear.
What will you do this weekend to bring joy into your life and a smile to someone else? I’m going to pick up dirt for my dad. He wants to fill in some holes in the garden. He really shouldn’t be lifting them, so if I get the dirt I can also spread it. He will be happy to have the garden repaired and my mom will be happy he didn’t injure himself doing it. My sister’s dog, who dug the holes in the first place, will be happy she has fresh dirt to dig in. I enjoy finding practical things I can do to help my parents.